- Hormone Changes. Typically beginning in a woman’s mid-to-late twenties and persisting into adulthood, many women experience hormone-caused acne. This acne can be attributed to androgens, which are the hormones responsible for stimulating the oil glands and hair follicles in the skin. When this hormone overstimulates, a woman’s facial acne can flare up.
- High Stress Levels. Androgens also overproduce during times of stress, over stimulating oil production and causing breakouts for women.
- Medications. Certain types of medication can trigger breakout in women; chemicals like anticonvulsants, corticosteroids, sobriety drugs, and even some birth control pills can make skin worse.
- Diet. I have found that diet plays a significant role in a person’s complexion. Too much sodium (includes dairy) trigger breakouts.Everyone is different and may have certain foods aggravate their acne, so keep a food journal during an acne flare-up and try to find a potential cause.
- Products and Cosmetics. Pay close attention to not only what you put on your face, but also what you put near it! Hair styling gels, sprays, and other products can clog pores and cause breakouts. If you have bangs, try pinning them back for a few weeks and see if your skin clears up. Try changing your makeup regime to something more natural if you feel that your cosmetics could be causing your acne. Cleaning your makeup brushes will also make a significant difference!
- Environmental Factors. Humidity, pollution, and weather can all contribute to acne. Other tips are, wiping your cellphone off with rubbing alcohol or an antibacterial wipe; changing your pillowcase often; using a chemical-free laundry detergent.
Acne Takes Time
Acne is frustrating, embarrassing, and can even be painful, no matter your age. If you are suffering with acne, you’ve probably said that you’d try anything to get rid of it. In these Skin Care Blogs, we will provide you with valuable information that will help you on your journey to clear skin! To start […]
The Benefits of Extractions
You might have heard all kinds of stories about the extractions during a facial treatments. Most of them might have sounded like a painful nightmare, but they are the BEST part of the facial! During our facials, we get all the “gunk” out of your pores. Not only will the dirt and oil be removed, […]
Even in the Winter, Your Skin Needs Protection
It is NOT enough for you to use makeup with sunscreen, or a moisturizer with a sunscreen. You need a PHYSICAL SPF which contains zinc oxide to block both UVA and UVB rays. This will allow adequate sun protection. Remember to reapply your sunscreen every two hours if you are out all day, after a […]